Friday, January 01, 2016

Stephening Standard 2015

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
(Groucho Marx)
ABOUT TIME !

Time passes. It’s a journey, a one-way journey, a l-o-n-g one-way journey – if we’re lucky!

Here I am with a teenage son (Zach turned 13 in December 2015) and octogenarian parents (they both rolled into their 80s in 2015, well actually, happily, they both walked into their 80s).

Meanwhile, I have not provided any update to friends and family for some time. I clearly missed the end of 2015 given that this missive did not issue until the end of the first quarter of 2016.

The update on 2014 never left my laptop. Just like the software really - just sits there as a legacy reminding me that I, like my computer hardware,  seem to be getting older and slower.

Can too much time pass? 

Does an un-issued annual update begin to discolour and smell like some of the things in my fridge? Wasn't it always going to be yesterday’s news? Doesn't a memoir regreen our memories, offers a nostalgic memento, the past brought back into the present? (For more thoughts in this vein, you might like to review the Rolling Stones 1967 song, Yesterdays Papers - will you look at that mini-skirt!)



I know I love receiving updates from all of you in whatever form and time you do it. Moreover, I was encouraged by the words of one friend who in her Christmas 2015 update, invited me and her friends to write some words and send some photos. I should note that her update was issued in print, sent via snailmail, from the US and received before Christmas 2015. Her encouraging words are tempered, undermined even, by her own impressive timeliness.

And still time passes.

Go here for updates (www.insideoutsite.blogspot.com) on all I've done in the last two years.

About time: better late than never!

No comments: