![]() |
| Zach (blue), Grandma (magenta), Mum (pink) |
When Zach and I got there, Grandma was surrounded by grandchildren and others, but mum was not there yet.
I wished Grandma a happy mother's day, gave her a hug and communicated my good wishes to her.
Looking a little frazzled, Grandma said "Thanks, but no-one is doing what I have asked them to do."
"That ain't right," I responded. "It's mother's day. So therefore, they should be doing what you ask. Or at least, until Zach's mum gets here"
Grandma laughed but one of the cousins eyeballed me and nodded behind me saying "Zach's mum has just arrived, she is right behind you."
Oops. Time to get out of here.
Later that day, when Zach was delivered back to me in the afternoon, I felt that I ought to acknowledge Zach's mum - and maybe try to efface the guilt for my faux pas of this morning.
I stepped out of the garden where I had been working, dusty and sweaty, I strode up to her with a big smile, wished her "Happy mother's day", and gave her a big (dirty, dusty) hug.
She squealed and laughed and turned side-on to me as I hugged.
Zach stood to the side just shaking his head. I could hear his unspoken words: "This isn't going to end well."
He confirmed his thoughts with me after she had gone: "She'll be back home complaining to everyone about how you hugged her all dirty like that."
I laughed: "Yes, she will. But she enjoyed the hug and acknowledgement, didn't she."
He acknowledged what I said was true.

No comments:
Post a Comment