Monday, December 26, 2011

Zach's village including father-like figures

Zach has grown up between two houses and tells people that he's really lucky because he has two homes. Indeed he is.

In Papa's home, there has been for some time a guy called Karl who occupies the backroom.

Karl is great with Zach, they share a love of Star Wars, Marvel Comics and lots of other kid stuff.

That leaves me to focus on Papa-stuff -- like putting Zach to bed at night, and reading books together with him.  One night, we were reading a Harry Potter book together.

The scene described some of the kids taunting Harry about his fatherlessness. His father had died when he was very young.

The kids went on to observe that Dumbledore (the Principal of Hogwarts school) was Harry's substitute father.

I stopped and asked Zach if he understand what was meant by "substitute father."

Nope.

So I explained.

Okay.

Then hoping to extend his understanding, I asked him "If I was to die, who do you think you might like as your substitute father."

After precisely one nanosecond, Zach blurted out "Karl."

Ouch!

No comments: